We heard the hype in 2022 about the death of email marketing, but we’ve discovered current statistics that support its thriving life. Email is working and working well. Don’t believe me?
Email marketing has an ROI of 3,800%.
Companies view email marketing as a better ROI than social media, content marketing, PPC, and more. But only 4% of marketers rate their email marketing efforts as “excellent”. Without giving too much away, let’s kick off the new year with 33 email marketing statistics & takeaways you need to know in 2022. Happy marketing! 🙂
EMAIL MARKETING ROI
- Companies view email marketing as a better return on investment than PPC, content marketing, social media, offline direct marketing, affiliate marketing, online display advertising, and mobile marketing.
- Email Marketing has an ROI of 3,800%.
- 66% of in-house marketers rate email as having “excellent” or “good” ROI.
It’s 2022 and it’s time to take email marketing seriously. Integrate email with your overall marketing mix and consider allocating more resources to email marketing.
GENERAL EMAIL MARKETING
- Nearly two thirds of marketers rate their company email as poor or average and less than 4% rate it as “excellent”.
- 91% of consumers check their email at least once a day.
- 56% of businesses say they plan to increase their use of email marketing .
- 42% of marketers use email service providers for services beyond email broadcasting.
- Companies that use an email service provider are more likely to be satisfied with their email marketing than companies who do not.
- Less than half (41%) of companies are using more than half of their email system functionality, which has not improved since last year.
- In addition to broadcast email, measurement & analytics, personalization, automated campaigns, and segmentation are the popular services provided by email service providers that marketers tap into.
- Businesses are looking for deeper integration of email with other business functions. The most common barrier to integrating email with overall business strategies is disconnected systems and technologies.
- Only 8% of companies & agencies have an email marketing team. Email marketing responsibilities usually fall on one person as a part of her wider range of marketing responsibilities.
Takeaway: Develop a marketing plan for your email in 2022 that’s fully integrated into your overall marketing mix. Create an email marketing calendar and sign up with an email service provider that allows for integration with your current systems and technologies. Tap into your ESP’s potential by exploring autoresponders, transactional email, custom integration, deep segmentation, and data collection & analysis. Consider developing an automated email campaign so you can do more work upfront and focus on other marketing to-dos in the future.
- Email is the most popular activity on smartphones among users ages 18-44.
- Over half of smartphone users grab their smartphone immediately after waking up.
- 64% of decision-makers read their email via mobile devices.
- The #1 email client for Gmail users is the iPhone’s built-in mail program, with 34% of all Gmail opens.
- 32% of marketers do not have a strategy in place to optimize emails for mobile devices.
Takeaway: Mobile is the future of email marketing. Be sure to keep mobile at the center of your email marketing plan for 2022 Begin by signing up for a mobile-friendly email service provider like ExpressPigeon. Make sure links in your emails are directed to responsive pages where readers can continue to engage via mobile. Subject lines are more important than ever.
- 66% of US online consumers, ages 15 and up made a purchase as a result of email marketing messages.
- Over 70% of mobile purchasing decisions are influenced by promotional emails.
- Over half of businesses achieve over 10% of total sales through email marketing.
Takeaway: Email marketing is a powerful sales channel. If you’re an e-retailer, consider connecting with our transactional email service and don’t sleep on abandoned cart emails.
- Nearly one third of email recipients open email based on subject line alone.
- Crazy subject lines generate opens but will damage subscriber relationships. If you use a subject line such as “Free booze”, you better actually offer free booze. An exciting subject line that gets someone to open an email but leaves them with nothing special in return can have a negative effect on your business in the long-term. Why would a subscriber open your next email if they no longer trust you?
- Using “Alert” or “News” or “Bulletin” in subject lines significantly boosts open and click-through rates.
- Using “Daily” or “Weekly” in subject lines boosts open and click-through rates whereas “Monthly” hurts open rates and CTRs.
- Using the words “Sale” or “New” or “Video” in subject lines boost open and click-through rates.
Takeaway: The key to higher opens and click-through rates is consistency (daily or weekly), urgency (alert, news, bulletin), and special offerings (sale, new, video). Don’t get sucked into using crazy subject lines unless they deliver as promised. Run A/B Split Tests for subject lines when sending emails (easy with us).
LIST & DELIVERABILITY
- Almost half of subscribers are inactive on an email list.
- Over 20% of marketing emails never make it to a subscriber’s inbox.
- Email open rates are noticeably lower on weekends than on weekdays.
- Sending four emails in a month instead of one significantly increases the number of consumers opening more than one email.
- Removing subscribers who have not engaged in over a year instantly increases your deliverability rate by 3 to 5%.
- Less than 1 in 2000 subscribers mark an email as SPAM.
Takeaway: Clean out your email list every few months and avoid sending on weekends. When selecting email marketing software, make sure deliverability is solid.
TESTING & OPTIMIZATION
- Design & content is the most time-consuming email activity for marketers and it is taking away from spending time on testing & optimization.
- 17% of marketers are not tracking email marketing metrics for their organizations.n subject lines significantly
Takeaway: Consider using email marketing tools to spend less time designing and more time on testing & optimization.
- Hubspot. 18 Email Marketing Stats That’ll Make You Better at Your Job. Retrieved from http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/email-marketing-stats-list
- Econsultancy. Email Marketing Industry Census
- iContact. The Small and Midsize Business Email Marketing Survey.
- MarketingProfs. 7 in 10 Smartphone Owners Access Facebook via Their Device.
- Salesforce. 25 Mind Blowing Email Marketing Stats.
- Marketo. Mobile Email Marketing Tips.
- Litmus.Gmail Opens Drop 18%: Are Tabs to Blame?
- Direct Marketing Association.Saturday Stat Series: The Influence of Email Marketing Messages.
- Econsultancy. More than half of businesses achieve 10% of sales through email marketing.
- Yesmail Interactive. Yesmail’s Email Marketing Compass: Consumer Purchase Behavior.
- Adestra. Subject Line Analysis Report.
- Econsultancy. 22% of marketing emails fail to reach the subscriber’s inbox: report.
- Econsultancy. Six case studies and infographics on the optimal time to send emails.
- MECLABS. Marketingsherpa Benchmark Report: Email Marketing.