The average conversion rate for ecommerce sites is 1%-3%. So, for every 100 visitors you get, only 1-3 people make a purchase. The number of online buyers is growing every year. You have a lot of potential to sell more products. Here are some effective tactics that boost ecommerce store traffic and conversion rates. Let’s get started:
How to boost traffic to your online store
1. Optimize your store for SEO and keywords
Your ecommerce store must be optimized for the right keywords. Proper keywords should be used in your images, product descriptions, and alt tags. High site traffic is vital before you start increasing your ecommerce conversions. SEO will increase your site’s traffic and improve your SEO rankings.
2. Tap into Google AdWords and pay-per-click advertising
Looking for a quick way to drive traffic to your online store? One way to bring conversions is for you to pay for it. But there’s a subtle art with pay-per-click advertising. This is true, especially if you’re trying to compete with big online shopping sites.
What if you’re a smaller brand? AdWords and other pay-per-click services can put you at a disadvantage. The market will set the bid price, which is often costly.
But here are some tips to help you settle the score:
- Quality score: Your Ad Rank in AdWords came from your bid and quality score. If you can’t outbid the big online shopping sites, then you can beat the Quality Scores with smart and focused effort. Ad Extensions are fantastic ways to boost your Ad Rank.
- Beyond Google: If your budget is limited, you can get lower conversion costs. You can do this by utilizing other search engines. Don’t try to limit yourself to just Google. Try taking advantage of other search engines where competition is less.
- Day Parting: It can work in your favor to only show ads at particular times of the day. You might only show ads during work hours if you mostly depend on customer service. Usually, this is when your staff is available. You might have to tailor your campaigns to their time zones if you’re selling overseas.
- Geo-targeting: You can try to be specific when you target particular areas.
- Mobile: Some businesses mainly depend on phone calls to close sales. So, consider getting a bid modifier if you’re one of them. This allows you to reach people that use smartphones.
- Match Types: Looking for long-tail opportunities but are your match types holding you back? Carefully placing Phrase Match keywords helps you keep costs in check. It also gives you the exposure you need.
- Re-marketing overspend: Ensure to segment successful conversions out of your re-marketing audience.
3. Run Facebook and Instagram ads
Facebook and Instagram ads don’t appear based on search results like Google Adwords. Instead, they’ll appear on the feeds of your target audience. This is usually based on behaviors, interest, and demographics. Instagram has over 2 billion monthly active users, you’ll find your target audience there, for sure.
Ads are a highly efficient way to drive traffic to your ecommerce store. Yet, they can be a huge waste of your resource when not done correctly.
Here are some tips:
- Try a lookalike audience. These people have the same behaviors and demographics as your existing customers.
- Provide people with a reason to click on your ads. This could be in the form of promotions and special discounts.
- Test your ads. Try out variations of your ad copy and images. You’ll reap better conversions and the lowest cost per sale. Test various promotions to see what your audience responds to.
- Place Facebook pixels on every page of your online store so that you can gather data.
- Make a targeted landing page. Don’t make the mistake of just driving users to your home page with all your products. There are many great landing page builders to create good-looking pages quickly.
Related Read: 13 Best Instagram Scheduling Tools
4. Create a sense of urgency
You must be honest and transparent in who you are as a brand and what you do. You also have to create a sense of urgency that will persuade prospects to purchase from you right now.
Many consumers respond well to incentives that create that sense of urgency. Examples can be anything from limited edition products to special offers. There are ways that you can accomplish this.
For instance, you can’t offer a limited-edition product to entice your customers. You can provide a financial incentive to customers that can immediately purchase. This can be in the form of free shipping and discounts.
If you use AdWords, you can use ad customizers to show a countdown on a limited-time sale or a seasonal offer.
5. Hold a giveaway
Holding giveaways is offering free products to a particular group of participants. This is a highly efficient way to boost your ecommerce traffic. It’s also key to building deeper relationships with your audience.
How to boost your online store conversion rate
The average conversion rate in eCommerce is between 1% and 4%. If you can increase your conversion rate even by 1% or 2%, you can double your sales. Here are some tactics to boost your ecommerce conversions.
6. Write comprehensive product descriptions
Looking for the best ways to design product pages that convert? Upload high-quality photos and videos. You also have to assess your site copy to see if it shows the details that customers need.
Since customers can’t physically touch your products and images, high-quality as they are, they may not feature details like materials. So, ensure you have a detailed description of the type of products you offer.
7. Strengthen your CTA copy
Generic CTAs such as “Click here”, or “Sign Up” won’t give you the best conversion rates. Experiment with CTAs that clearly define the next step, like “Shop Winter Shoes” or “Browse Fall Collection”.
Another thing to try is adding the word “Yes” to your CTAs. Psychologically, it’s highly effective, showcasing your offer in a more positive light. It’s also a lot better than having a generic copy.
The formula is: “Yes, I want [your offer]”
8. Add customer reviews and testimonials to conversion pages
Positive reviews and testimonials from your previous customers can be highly persuasive. It shows that your brand is reliable and trustworthy. It’s also a key component in the decision-making process.
Give visitors a chance to leave reviews. It’s even better if people can place their photos along the review. Add these to your conversion pages, like product pages and checkout pages. It will surely help boost your conversions and build customer trust in the long run.
9. Optimize for mobile devices
Mobile search has consistently outnumbered desktop searches for ecommerce. Make sure that your online store is well optimized for mobile devices. Doing a fantastic job generating traffic? If users click from their mobile phones and your site isn’t mobile optimized, you’ll miss out on sales.
For that reason it is important to make your site with a responsive design, or even make a seperate mobile version altogether. Jeanne from webdesignds.com lists some more benefits.
10. Simplify your eCommerce checkout process
A complex checkout process is one of the reasons you’re losing sales from competitors. You’ll also lose out on customers if you don’t employ a simple checkout process. It would help if you made it easy for your customers to purchase your products.
11. Offer multiple payment options
Integrating multiple payment options on the checkout page is vital. 93-95% of Gen Y and Z use smartphones and place orders on the go. Giving more options to pay will decrease the chance of people leaving because they can’t pay for your products.
Aside from credit card options, include other options like PayPal, Apple Pay, and Stripe. This accommodates more users and gives them a good reason why they shouldn’t leave your site.
Here are some advantages of offering several payment methods on your site:
- Better customer experience
- Customers feel more secure by having payment options they trust
- Makes your company more trustworthy
Concluding tactics to boost your online store traffic and conversions
Traffic and conversion rates are among the most vital indicators of ecommerce success. Implementing these techniques lets you boost your traffic and conversion rates.